Inverness Restaurants & Pubs
There's lots of places to Eat and Drink in Inverness from corner cafes to 5 star restaurants.
Here's a selection of eateries in Inverness city centre.
Top 10 Riverside Eateries
- The Waterfront Bar & Restaurant - Best Gastro Pub in Scotland 2018. Located in Huntly Street on the riverside, serving contemporary Scottish fayre including seafood and game
- Mustard Seed restaurant - very popular restaurant on Bank Street overlooking the river with some terrace seating upstairs.
- The Kitchen Brasserie on Huntly Street is a uniquely designed glass-fronted building right on the riverside.
- Prime on Ness Walk specialises in steak and seafood (with a dedicated pizzeria upstairs). Outside seating available.
- The River House Restaurant on the corner of Grieg Street and Huntly Street (near the 'bouncy' bridge) specialises in seafood.
- Nicky Tam's Restaurant & Bar (previously known as Nico's) is at rear of the Glen Mhor Hotel on the riverside. Pre-theatre and à la dinner menus, afternoon teas, Scottish produce with more than 90 Scottish whiskies and 15 Scottish gins.
- Rocpool Restaurant award-winning stylish contemporary brasserie on the corner of Ness Walk by the river.
- The Waterside Hotel on Ness Bank which has a nice conservatory restaurant overlooking the river, plus a bar.
- White House Cocktail Bar and Bistro on the corner of Union Street and Church Street.
- Contrast Brasserie - the award-winning restaurant at the Glenmoriston Town House hotel on Ness Bank on the riverside. Listed by The Lonely Planet as one of their best value restaurants in Inverness.
Casual Dining with traditional Scottish fayre
- McBains by the River at 10 Bank Street near the pedestrian bridge.
- Number 27 is a bar and restaurant in Castle Street which serves lunches and evening meals every day. Local ales and fresh home cooked food with a difference.
- Ivy Bar and Kitchen serves cocktails and Scottish fayre in Church Street.
- Girvan's Restaurant is a cafe by day and a restaurant by night. Situated on Stephen's Brae near the Eastgate shopping centre.
- Fig & Thistle Bistro serves Scottish food on Stephen's Brae in the city centre.
- ASH bar/restaurant at the Royal Highland Hotel offers lunch and dinner menus, plus afternoon teas in the tartan-decked foyer of this historic hotel with Titanic theme grand staircase.
- Cafe 1 in Castle Street serves Scottish and European dishes.
- McGonagall's Steakhouse in Bridge Street offers Scottish food and chargrilled steaks.
- Urquhart's Restaurant on Young Street is close to the river and a short walk from Eden Court.
- John Macnabs Bar & Bistro in The Columba Hotel.
- On the riverside (Ness Walk), The Palace Hotel and The Columba Hotel both serve bar meals.
- 33 Church Street Bar & Brasserie overlooks the river and is set within The Mercure Inverness Hotel.
- Bella Italia and Zizzi on Bridge Street are both well known franchises.
- Pizza Express is in Falcon Square.
- Little Italy on Stephen's Brae is a family-run authentic Italian Restaurant near Eastgate Shopping Centre with some outdoor seating.
- Buonissimo offers Italian street food to take out in the High Street.
- Pepperoni Speciale is a dedicated pizza restaurant in Tomnahurich Street just over the main road bridge from the city centre.
- La Tortilla Asesina - a Spanish tapas bar on Castle Street.
- Tartan Tapas is Scottish and Spanish Wine & Tapas Bar situated in the Eastgate shopping centre.
- Spice Tandoori overlooking the river
- Sams in Church Street
- Cinnamon - opposite Morrisons on Millburn Road
- The Rajah - behind the post office
- Lucky Bowl in Union Street is said to be ‘the only authentic Chinese Restaurant in the Highlands’.
- Jimmy Chung's is a Chinese buffet style restaurant overlooking the river.
- Apsendos - serving local Mediterranean and Turkish food in Queensgate (near the post office).
- Kool Runnings offers Caribbean food in Church Street.
Pubs and Bars
- Castle Tavern up which is well recommended for its food and real ales.
- MacGregor's specialises in local craft beers and traditional live music (at the far end of Academy Street)
- Black Isle Bar & Rooms which specialises in pizza and local beer (from the Black Isle Brewery and elsewhere).
- Hootananny in Church Street. A very popular venue with regular live music.
- Johnny Foxes - this pub offers live entertainment in the evenings and serves good bar meals all day.
- Ashes at The Phoenix - pub food in Academy Street
- Gellions in Bridge Street is the oldest pub in Inverness.
For an award-winning 5 Star dining experience, you can dine Chez Roux at the Rocpool Hotel. The restaurant offers Scottish ingredients with a French twist. Founded by Albert Roux.
- Artysans is a social enterprise working with local produce, offering breakfasts and home baking. Situated in Strothers Lane between the bus station and railway.
- The Rendezvous Cafe on Church Street is a local establishment, previously a record shop and dance hall.
- Comfort Foods is a cafe and deli in Church Street.
- Nourish is a vegetarian organic cafe in Church Street. Winner of 'Best Vegetarian Establishment' in the 2015 Food Awards Scotland.
- The Hidden Gem cafe at the Spectrum Centre has light bites and is just by the bus station.
- Cobbs cafe at the Botanic Gardens always has delicious cakes and scones.
Many pubs in Inverness have regular live music sessions with local bands and musicians all year round.
- Hootananny / Mad Hatters (Church Street) - including ceilidhs on a Saturday afternoon.
- MacGregor's (bottom of Academy Street)
- Gellions (Bridge Street)
- Johnny Foxes (Bank Street, overlooking the river)
- Encore Une Fois (in Young Street just over the bridge)
- Market Bar (Church Street),
- The Tooth & Claw (tucked away in Baron Taylor's Street),
- The Dog House (opposite the post office in Queensgate)
- MacNabs at the Columba Hotel on the river has live music on Saturday nights in the summer.
- The Glenmoriston Hotel (Ness Bank on the riverside) has music at weekends in the bar.
The Ironworks Live Music Venue in Academy Street has bands and performers all year.
Eden Court Theatre (near the cathedral on the river) has an ever-changing programe of concerts and musical entertainment. The invernessGiGs web site includes music news, events listings, reviews, etc.